Loppem Castle Maze
On the edge of the beautiful castle park of Loppem, protected as a cultural-historical landscape, is one of the few 'real' mazes in Belgium. This maze was designed in 1873 by the young Albert and Ernest van Caloen and is more than 20 ares in size. Dozens of corridors with a total of one and a half kilometers of green and red hornbeam lead to a central tree. Who will hit first? Finding the exit is also sometimes less easy than it seems...
The impressive castle is set in a romantic park with ponds and a maze – an ideal outing for young and old! Individual visitors can tour the castle from March until the end of the autumn break (end of October into the beginning of November in Belgium). Groups can visit the castle every day of the year, by appointmen
MAZE OPENING HOURS
- every Saturday, Sunday and Easter Monday: 2 pm – 6 pm
- Tuesday to Friday: 2 pm – 5 pm
April, May, June, September and October:
- Saturday, Sunday and public holidays: 2 pm - 6 pm
- Friday after Ascension Day: 2 pm - 6 pm
- Whit Monday: 2 pm - 6 pm
July and August:
- every day (including public holidays!) between 1 pm - 6 pm
- closed from November 1 (All Saints' Day) to April 1
During the autumn holidays, the maze is only open during the three-day Halloween.
LOCATION & PARKING
Use P1 at the back of the castle. A nice path takes you to the maze (follow the arrows).
There are also some parking spaces just next to the maze but these are very limited.
Bicycle parking is possible close to the entrance of the maze.
Dogs only allowed on a leash (during large public activities, please keep the four-legged friend outside the maze).
- 'The Maze Mole' is a simple educational game for children between 7 and 9 years old. While the children find their way in the maze, they solve some riddles. Participation is free with a paying visit.
- You can also search in the castle (for groups). Regional guide Katrien Danneels has developed an educational game for children aged 10 to 12. The treasure hunt is also available tailored to adults. For information and reservations: www.kasteelvanloppem.be
- There are 3 marked walking loops in the park, you can choose between a walk of 1.5 to 3 km.
Download a map of the park at the bottom of this page or ask at the maze reception desk.